Synthekine is a Menlo Park, CA based biotechnology company focused on discovering and developing best in class cytokine therapeutics to treat cancer and autoimmunity. We use our unique insights on how cytokines bind to their receptors and tune these systems though protein engineering to generate therapeutics that have transformative potential. Synthekine was formed in 2019 and has raised $190M from leading biotech investors. We are advancing a deep pipeline of therapeutics against some of the most important cytokine targets. Come join us and help us give patients and physicians better options to treat disease and advance cytokine science along the way.
We are seeking a dedicated Scientist I in Protein Engineering. The position will report to the Director of Cytokine Biology, and the primary responsibility will be to work within Lead Discovery to design, generate, and characterize the bioactivity of novel cytokine therapeutics for cancer and autoimmune indications. The ideal candidate with be proficient with the engineering (molecular biology) and generation of proteins across multiple expression (bacterial, mammalian or viral) and screening (yeast display or mammalian cell assays) platforms. Experience with pegylation, small scale purification, structural biology, and analytical HPLC are desirable. The candidate is expected to be able to adjust to a flexible, dynamic and high-paced research environment with shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Molecular biology: design, assemble, sequence expression vectors, or oversee outsourcing.
- Protein Biochemistry: small scale protein purification; modification of proteins (ex: pegylation), formulation and stability studies, analytical HPLC.
- Tissue Culture: small scale mammalian, bacterial, and yeast expression.
- Assays: ELISA, western, evaluate protein function in cell-based assays, design of basic assays.
- Collaborate with in vivo researchers to evaluate the therapeutic potential of engineered cytokines.
- Communicate experimental findings accurately and concisely in both oral and written form.
- Analyze, document and report laboratory data in accordance with Synthekine’s standards and procedures.
- Present at group meetings, project team meetings and company-wide meetings.
- Develop data to support patent filings, and interface with intellectual property team.
- PhD in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or relevant field with 0- 2 years of experience OR
- Master's in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or relevant field with 4 or more years of experience OR
- Bachelor's degree in Immunology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry or relevant field with 6 or more years of experience.
- Experience and knowledge of molecular biology, protein expression and yeast display.
- An understanding of the structural underpinnings of designer cytokines.
- Expertise in the fields of immunology and/or cell biology.
- Ability to independently design, plan and execute and interpret experiments.
- Ability to organize and communicate complex data sets in a clear and concise manner.
- Excellent organization and planning skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, good verbal skills and written communication, and strong motivation with a dedicated work ethic.
Please apply at email@example.com.
Synthekine is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.